I am a stay at home mom with a great husband, The Man With No Name, and two children, the Princess Pea and the Little Gunner.

This is my blog to show off my newest hobby. Digital Scrapbooking. Most likely there will also be posts about my family, my other favourite hobby-knitting, and eating gluten free.

06 January 2008

A Contest

Go Digital Scrapbooking has begun the first round of their Supreme Team IV Contest. I was only one of the 164 to sign up!

We were given a great looking kit by Andrea Gold. All deep purples and blues. The colours were gorgeous! The elements beautiful. Only one thing, being called Winter Frosting you can imagine a lot of snowflakes, mittens and a snowman. Not very helpful here in Florida where we are decidedly snow free.
The pieces that called to me at first sight were the cardboard paper and the knotted ribbon. Once I had downloaded and unzipped the files I opened my 6x4 page and placed my favourite paper, adjusted in size and rotated. Because the challenge is about using the kit for a layout I did not concentrate on pictures. Instead I used two blank rectangles placed on my paper to 'place-hold'. Using my other favourite element, the knotted ribbon, I began wrapping the portrait picture. I wanted it to squish, like this:

image from NBC
After playing with the liquify tool I had to admit defeat. I wasn't getting it. Instead I used the wrapped ribbon provided in the kit. I also put the matching ribbons behind everything.

I chose two background papers to mat my pictures. I didn't want them to frame, just stack. This is hard for me because I love symmetry and balance, but feel scrapping should seem natural. The transform tool let me find that look as I adjusted the size. With the themed ribbons and mats, my page looked very purple.

Using the eyedropper on the colour swatch provided, I painted over the torn cardboard with the color replacement tool to make it a coordinated blue.

To show the judges my creativity I wanted to use a snowflake as something else. One look at the paper snowflake and I knew it could be photo corners, just by clipping it into quarters. Looking back, I should have changed my picture to a square and used the flake as is. By layering a copy of the flake above and below my picture layer, I was able to erase the top flake where I wanted the photo corner to poke through.

I used one of the provided tags for my, undecided, title. I made a hole in the picture so it would appear to be punched together with the eyelet. I also added staples and the paperclip to look as though they were holding everything down. After the difficulty of selecting my pictures, a title was easily chosen. Drop shadows added were the final step, and here is my finished layout.

Posting my layout in the gallery I join all those waiting to see if we go on to the next round. Whether I move on or not, I have a scrapbook page I enjoy.

0 comments: